We conduct R&D projects aimed at improving vocational teaching and learning through the development of concepts, procedures, methods and instruments of diagnostics, learning psychology and educational science. Here the key features and challenges associated with the teaching-learning context are taken into account: learning is correlated with specific work situations encountered in a given occupation; it takes place in different learning locations and involves different actors; the learners themselves are unique and have very different learning needs.
Our areas of focus:
- Acquisition of professional competences enabling learners to handle specific work situations (didactics for specific occupational fields or subjects)
- Developing learning strategies and metacognitive skills
- Fostering cooperation between learning locations and the integration of competences and resources from different learning locations
- Developing approaches to assist learners with specific learning needs (e.g. slow learners, learners with specific learning disorders, learners from disadvantaged social and cultural backgrounds, learners with special strengths and talents)
- Improving the competences of VET professionals in the area of didactics relating to specific subjects and occupational fields as well as in the area of learning diagnostics and encouragement of learning (professionalisation)
- New: Applied mathematics/calculations in day-to-day work as well as in vocational schools, reflexion upon typical working and learning situations during branch courses, individual certification of acquired competences.
In addition to scientific analyses of questions and issues arising from VET practices, we also work with VET professionals to develop, test and evaluate diagnostic or didactic procedures, instruments and materials (design-based research, intervention studies). Here, effective procedures and instruments are established and made available to practitioners. In addition, we lend support for the transfer of research findings to VET professionals and design basic and continuing training courses.