With 26 training programmes recognised by the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), we train over 1,700 vocational school teachers, workplace trainers and branch course instructors in three linguistic regions each year.
Our mission is to provide training to teachers working at vocational schools, commercial schools, schools preparing learners for the federal vocational baccalaureate examination, professional education institutions as well as branch course instructors, traineeship supervisors at trade schools and other sites where learners are provided with practical training.
We also train future specialists in vocational education and training through the Master of Science in Vocational Education and Training, which is a unique study programme both in Switzerland and worldwide.
2. What we offer
- Close interaction with practitioners and a constant drive to innovate (flipped classroom, bilingual instruction, use of ICTs, etc.).
- Approaches to dual-track VET that have been field-tested and serve as the frame of reference for the theoretical principles used to guide professional practice.
- A supportive approach that serves as a veritable conveyor belt between theory and practice.
- Pedagogical approaches that help practitioners to strike a balance between work and family life.
- Granting of equivalence through the recognition of prior formal learning.
- Awarding of qualifications through the validation of non-formal and informal learning (VNIL).
- Consulting services to facilitate the introduction of bilingual instruction in vocational schools.
3. Our expertise
- Indispensable partner at regional, national and international levels.
- Cooperation initiatives with higher education institutions in Switzerland and other countries.
- Proximity to professionals in each given field.
- Experience on the ground, exposure to different cultures and practices.
- Close cooperation with the R&D Division ensures that the content of SFIVET’s basic and continuing training courses is backed by research findings and that SFIVET is able to improve teaching practices and offer solutions to current teaching challenges.
4. Qualifications awarded
- Diploma and certificate for teachers wishing to teach vocational subjects in VET programmes
- Diploma for teachers wishing to teach language, communication and society courses in VET programmes
- Diploma for teachers wishing to prepare young people for the federal vocational baccalaureate examination
- Diploma and certificate for teachers working at professional education institutions
- Certificate for workplace trainers
- Complementary certificate in vocational pedagogy for baccalaureate school teachers
- Master of Science in Vocational Education and Training